Wednesday, April 25, 2012

12-04-25: Front squats and jump rope

Elm City CrossFit WoD for Wednesday, April 25th, 2012
Front squat. Elbows up, weight carried on the delts. 
Left: elbows down, weight prone to rolling forward, probably resulting in the picture below. Right: elbows up, weight secure on the deltoids.

Utter lack of control if the weight starts rolling. Note also the 2x4 under his heels. Cheater. (Who is strong as crap, so let's at least give him credit for THAT!)

Left: Broken form, too much work, wasted energy. Right: tight core, efficient  hopping, faster turnover with less energy spent.


Strength: 5 x 6 reps
  • FS @ 80% 195#
  • 30 sec. jump rope
Fairly heavy front squats for reps, followed by agility/speed work with the rope, back and forth for 5 rounds. Yikes!  After warming up with increasing weights, and trying to stretch out my forearms, which let me know about their tightness nearly instantly after trying to lift the bar out of the rack for the first practice set, it was time for the real deal.

First set, that bar felt freaking heavy (well, it was, I mean 1 rep max heavy), and in the transition from the final squat to re-racking, my hands started to slip out from under the bar. Stupid forearms. Quickly catching the bar in the old California front-squat rack position (arms crossed in front), I got it racked, and hit the jump-rope. Our direction was to "jump-rope," not practice double-unders. Though I had warmed up some double-unders, on trying them in this first round, I was spectacularly unsuccessful. Getting myself disentangled from the rope, I added 5 seconds back onto my time, and single-jumped and alternate-legged my way through the interval.

After that first round, I didn't have any more terrible grip issues with the bar, never needing the California grip through the rest of the workout. My forearms were tight, and killed after each set of squats, but I would just shake them out on the way to the jump-rope, and stretch them out before the next round of squats.

No comments:

Post a Comment